Saturday, September 27, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith, August 1, 1865

Headquarters Post And District Of Mobile,
Mobile, Ala., Aug. 1. 1865.

I know it will make you sad, but for the sake of their exceeding beauty, I must transcribe some original lines I run my eye over to-day and saved for you:

GONE HOME.

No sickness there, nor any care, nor grief
Nor any night;
There, we shall clasp our long lost friends again,
With new delight.
No cold neglect, ingratitude, nor guile,
Will there distress;
No heavy hours, no lonely days and nights,
No weariness;
No longing for sweet peace, that never comes;
No scalding tears,
That, falling, wash away the life and strength
More than do years;
Oh, home! sweet home! when shall these weary feet
Press thy dear soil?
When shall I rest from all my pain and grief,
My care and toil?

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 407-8

No comments: