Saturday, October 18, 2014

Governor Samuel J. Kirkwood to Edwin M. Stanton, August 20, 1862

DAVENPORT, IOWA, August 20, 1862.
Hon. EDWIN M. STANTON,
Secretary of War:

First. There are companies now full and that will be filled by the 23d to fill eighteen to twenty regiments. Our whole State appears to be volunteering. Second. The companies are now coming into rendezvous as rapidly as I can furnish blankets for them. Could have them all in next week if I had blankets and could build quarters fast enough. Have blankets for only five regiments. Third. I don't want any further time than the 23d. All I want is to put into regiments all the companies full on that day. If I don't get this permission I will have to volunteer myself and leave the State.

 SAMUEL J. KIRKWOOD,
Governor.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series III, Volume 2 (Serial No. 123), p. 417; Henry Warren Lathrop, The Life and Times of Samuel J. Kirkwood, Iowa's War Governor, p. 217;

No comments: