Friday, October 24, 2014

Governor Samuel J. Kirkwood to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, March 20, 1862

Executive Office, March 20, 1862.

H. W. Halleck, Maj.-Gen. Comg, St. Louis, Mo.:

Sir: — Your assuming responsibility of and defending Gen. Hamilton's order disgracing the 2d Iowa Regt. Vol. Infy. at St. Louis was read by me in the newspapers at Cairo, and was found on my table on my return.

I regret your position in this matter, but my opinion of it is not changed. Certain unknown members of that regiment destroyed and carried away, as is alleged, specimens from a museum in McDowell's college, then occupied by rebel prisoners and guarded by that regiment. Admitting the truth of the allegation, and not inquiring whether the property destroyed was the property of a loyal man or a rebel, it must also be true that but few members of the regiment could have participated in the act, or could have known the guilty parties. There must have been many members of the regiment as guiltless of the wrong done and as ignorant of the names of the guilty parties as either of us. Many of them too are just as proud and as sensitive of their good names as either of us, and their feelings deserve just as much consideration as ours. Now, I cannot admit that these men had done any wrong or deserved any punishment. And when I was required to admit this by placing the evidence of their punishment on the records of my office, I could not and did not do it, and I am yet satisfied with my action, and I yet ask earnestly, but respectfully, that the censure cast upon them be removed.

Accept my congratulations upon the brilliant success of the forces under your command.

Very respectfully, your Obdt. Sevt.
Samuel J. Kirkwood

SOURCE: State Historical Society of Iowa, Iowa Historical Record, Volumes 1-3, Volume 2, No. 3, July 1886, p. 326-7

No comments: