Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to a Midshipman at the Naval Academy, October 28, 1862

Burlington, October 28, 1862.

I have received your letter, and by the same mail one from H––. In the pressure of my business I must make this letter answer as the acknowledgment of both. I watch with a great deal of solicitude the progress that the Iowa boys are making at the Naval School. I am as anxious as your parents are that you should each and every one of you succeed and be ornaments of your profession. I shall hail your success with delight. But you all use one expression that I do not like. You speak of your anxiety and your desire to “keep up” with your class. You ought to set your mark higher than that. You should aim not only to “keep up,” but to keep ahead of your class, you should lead and not follow. Be satisfied with no rank in your class below the first. You should strive for that position — not merely for the honor of it, that should be a secondary consideration — but because the habits, methods, and discipline, that will be necessary to enable you to take that high rank will prepare you for future successes through life, and will inspire you with a noble ambition to occupy distinguished positions, and the ability to fill them creditably to yourself and your friends.

You are all blessed with good constitutions. You can safely submit to the confinement and labor that will be required of you. You all have the requisite natural capacity. Nothing is necessary to complete success at the Academy but indomitable energy and perseverance. I do not expect too much of you in the outset. I have told your parents that they must be satisfied with a low report the first month from each of you, but that if you have proper application to study, the firm resolution to please them, and honor yourselves, your monthly reports will grow better and better. Remember that you are now laying the foundations of your whole course. Skip nothing; understand thoroughly all that you go over; and your future studies will become comparatively easy. Remember, my dear boys, that I have a deep interest in you, I desire your welfare. I hope you will each give me further cause to be proud of our noble State of Iowa. May God bless you all who claim Iowa as your home!

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 219-20

No comments: