Wednesday, October 1, 2014

William T. Sherman to Simon Cameron, May 8, 1861

Office Of St. Louis Railway Co.
May 8th, 1861.
Hon. S. Cameron, Sec'y of War,

Dear Sir: I hold myself now, as always, prepared to serve my country in the capacity for which I was trained. I did not and will not volunteer for three months, because I cannot throw my family on the cold charity of the world. But for the three years call made by the President, an officer can prepare his command, and do good service.

I will not volunteer as a soldier, because, rightfully or wrongfully, I feel unwilling to take a mere private's place and, having for many years lived in California and Louisiana, the men are not well enough acquainted with me to elect me to my appropriate place.

Should my services be needed, the records of the War Department will enable you to designate the station in which I can render the most service.

Yours truly,
W. T. Sherman.

SOURCES: William T. Sherman, Memoirs of General William T. Sherman, Second Edition, Revised and Corrected, Vol. 1, p. 199-200; James Penny Boyd, The Life of General William T. Sherman, p. 50

No comments: