Friday, November 14, 2014

Francis Preston Blair to Congressman John Sherman, December 6, 1859


Washington City, December 6, 1859.

Dear Sir: — I perceive that a debate has arisen in Congress in which Mr. Helper's book, the “Impending Crisis,” is brought up as an exponent of Republican principles. As the names of many leading Republicans are presented as recommending a compendium of the volume, it is proper that I should explain how those names were obtained in advance of the publication. Mr. Helper brought his book to me at Silver Spring to examine and recommend, if I thought well of it, as a work to be encouraged by Republicans. I had never seen it before. After its perusal, I either wrote to Mr. Helper, or told him that it was objectionable in many particulars, to which I adverted; and he promised me, in writing, that he would obviate the objections by omitting entirely or altering the matter objected to. I understand that it was in consequence of his assurance to me that the obnoxious matter in the original publication would be expurgated, that Members of Congress and other influential men among the Republicans were induced to give their countenance to the circulation of the edition so to be expurgated

F. P. BLAIR,
Silver Spring.
Hon. John Sherman.

SOURCE:  John Sherman, John Sherman's Recollections of Forty Years in the House, Senate and Cabinet, Volume 1, p. 170

No comments: