Thursday, November 27, 2014

John M. Forbes to Lieutenant-General Winfield Scott,

BOSTON, July 3, 1861.

My Dear Sir, — Your valued note of July 1st is received. It is clear that Neptune owes me a grudge in thus making me the innocent reason of the first failure you ever experienced in entertaining your friends or enemies!

I do not, however, mean to put up with defeat, and so try my own ground, the railroad, and send a salmon alone, as I find there is. some reason to fear that his highness, the cod, does not bear transportation, and may hurt the salmon. Possibly, too, his Excellency Governor Andrew's fish may have had the preference in the ice-chest!

I hear that our good governor has turned his face toward Washington. He is killing himself with attention to military details, and if you value him or Massachusetts, I wish you could send him some good army officer to help him organize our last ten thousand men.

This learning the art of war in two months is a serious matter!

With my best wishes and respects.

Yours truly,
J. M. Forbes.

SOURCE: Sarah Forbes Hughes, Letters and Recollections of John Murray Forbes, Volume 1, p. 226-7

No comments: