Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Elizabeth Nealley Grimes, April 13, 1865

Burlington, April 13,1865.

Our place is more beautiful this spring than ever before; indeed, I know no more lovely spot anywhere, and my only want now is that you were here to enjoy it with me. We are having fine weather, with a prospect of an abundant supply of fruit. Cherries and pears are remarkably promising at present, and two or three vine-dressers, who have been here, say my grapes look better than anybody's about here.

Among other strange things that I have done, I gave this week six hundred and forty acres of land, worth I suppose about four to five thousand dollars, to the Congregational College at Grinnell. I thought I would administer thus far on my own estate. The college is overrun with students, and I fancied that as good use would be made of it in this as in any other way.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 276-7

No comments: