Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Elizabeth Nealley Grimes, June 19, 1864

Washington, June 19, 1864.

I hope to be at home by the 4th of July. It is possible I may not, however, because I am compelled to stop a day in Chicago, and I do not wish to be there on the 4th, which is the day the convention of the Democratic party assembles there. Rather than be incommoded by that concern in going west, or be mixed up in it, I will remain on the way a day or two. We have no news here. Grant's campaign is regarded by military critics as being thus far a failure. He has lost a vast number of men, and is compelled to abandon his attempt to capture Richmond on the north side, and cross the James River. The question is asked significantly, Why did he not take his army south of the James at once, and thus save seventy-five thousand men?

Smith, Bros. & Co., of whom I made mention in my remarks in the Senate, found themselves in Fort Warren day before yesterday, and will be tried before a court-martial, and will, I doubt not, be convicted.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 263

No comments: