Thursday, November 6, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to William P. Fessenden, July 3, 1864

Philadelphia, July 3, 1864.

I left Washington yesterday morning, as I told you I should. I have experienced twenty-six moody and melancholy hours. You have at no time been separated from my thoughts since I left you. I have tried to picture to myself what would be the effect of your change of position upon the country, upon yourself, and upon our relations to each other.

I need not tell you that for six years I have been drawn toward you by an invisible power, magnetic it may be, that I could never resist, even had I desired to resist it. During the time I have been in the Senate you have exercised an influence over my wayward nature such as was never exercised by any human being except my wife. At times I have been irritated with you, but I can truly say that I never suffered the sun to go down upon my anger. If at any such moment of my weakness I ever gave you a pang of painful feeling, I now most sincerely crave your pardon, begging you to remember that the recollection of any and every intemperate declaration of mine gives me more sorrow than it can possibly give to you.

Now, our relations are to be changed. I had hoped that so long as I remained in the Senate we were to be associated together. It is ordered otherwise, and I trust for the good of the country. You are to have new surroundings, new associations, and doubtless our old friendship will be in a measure forgotten; I trust not destroyed. It fills me with grief to think that this must in the very nature of things be so.

You know what I thought of your going into the cabinet. If you would not deem it offensive to say so, I would say that I really pitied you when I saw you last. I saw at a glance your true situation. I knew that you had feeble health, that the Treasury is in a terrible condition, and that the result of your acceptance of office might be your death. At the same time I believed that no name would give one-half so much confidence to the country as yours, and I knew that your declination by every enemy of the country would be ascribed not to its true cause, your poor health, but to the fact that you knew too well the condition of the Treasury Department to accept the portfolio. In this condition of things, I did not feel like urging you to either accept or decline, but contented myself with recommending you to make such terms as would prevent you from being slandered and back-bitten out of the cabinet in a few weeks by your associates. What is to be the issue in that regard I do not know. You are, or were, when I left, master of the situation, and in my opinion would fix your own terms.

Now let me give you one word of parting advice, and I will never assume to do it again.

Get rid of Mr. Chase's agents as soon as possible. I believe many of them are corrupt, but whether they be so or not they are thought to be, and that is a sufficient reason for supplanting them with new men. One or two men who enjoy your confidence now, I believe to be tricksters, but you will find them out soon enough. Do not send abroad to negotiate a loan, but throw yourself upon the people of this country. Read the Evening Post of yesterday, and see what was the demand for United States securities in New York. In the present flush of confidence you can put your loan upon the American market, and do as you wish.

And now, my dear Fessenden, I start for my rustic home on the bank of the Mississippi. If there be an angel on earth, there is one there who prays as devoutly night and morning for your success and welfare as she does for mine. I dare not trust myself to read this letter for fear I would destroy it. I do not expect you to spare the time to answer it. May God give you health and happiness, and to the country peace and safety!

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 263-5

No comments: