Saturday, November 15, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to William P. Fessenden, July 19, 1865

Burlington, July 19, 1865.

Your letter leads me to think that you may possibly be inclined to come West, though I am quite skeptical on the subject. I do hope you will come; I think you ought to come, not for your own pleasure, or the pleasure of your friends alone, but as a leading public man you ought to see this country for yourself. I am only a few hours' ride from Chicago, but in a far more quiet, respectable, moral, healthy, comfortable place. I cannot promise you the luxuries of a commercial metropolis on the seacoast, but I will feed you on grapes if you are here in September, and intoxicate you with their pure juice. I have between seven hundred and eight hundred vines loaded down with most promising grapes, though we have much wet weather, which is not propitious.

Of course, I always give a hearty support to the Administration, as in duty bound, but we will reserve our quarrel about the Navy Department, the Administration, and Charles Sumner, until you come here. I prefer to fight you in my own barn-yard. Mrs. Grimes says she shall never forgive you, if you do not come to see us, and spend at least two weeks with us.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 280

No comments: