Friday, November 7, 2014

William P. Fessenden to Senator James W. Grimes, July 24, 1864

Washington, July 24, 1864.

Your kind letter has neither been overlooked nor forgotten, for I have wished many times for a moment to acknowledge its receipt, and to tell you how highly I appreciate its assurances of friendly regard. You can well imagine, however, that I have been intensely occupied, and must be aware that I am overwhelmed with perplexities, and surrounded by dangers. Had I known but two weeks beforehand what was to happen, I think that with the aid of Congress I might have placed myself in a somewhat easier condition. But things must be taken as I find them, and they are quite bad enough to appall any but a man desperate as I am. I cannot commit to paper all I would say. If my bodily condition was better, perhaps I might work with more heart and energy; but I am run down with fatigue, retiring exhausted, and rising little refreshed — a poor state for such work as I have to do. But it must be done, and I will do it somehow.

I wish to assure you, my dear friend, that there are few people in this world for whom I have so high a regard as for yourself. There was no man in the Senate with whom I was on such close terms of intimacy, or who knew so much of me as you did. If at any time there was a moment's irritation, it always passed away with the moment, and left no trace behind. May it remain thus between us while we both live! Our country must be served honestly and faithfully, and we must do our duty, even if others fail in theirs. I want your aid and counsel more than ever, and trust you will not withhold either.

Give my love to your wife, and tell her to think as well of me as she can, whatever may be my errors.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 265-6

No comments: