Sunday, January 11, 2015

John Brown Jr. to John Brown, August 14, 1856

Lecompton, Aug. 14, 1856.

You can, at any time you think it best, come to camp and see me, especially at evening, without observation. Come to the house of Mrs. Wesley, about fifty rods east from the camp, and she will send up her boy to let me know that a man wants to see me. You could no doubt find a temporary stopping-place either at Captain Thome's or at Mr. Lewis's, about a mile south of our camp, near the California road. In coming here you will notice two camps; ours is the more easterly. If you wish to see me, come at evening, early, to the captain's tent, and say that you wish to see the prisoners, and you will be admitted, without a doubt . The captain is very accommodating; you can come and go incog. The captain of Company I says he has been after you more than two months. Don't let them get you. I very much want to see you, but don't run any great risk on this account. At any time you wish to write me, direct to X. Y. Z., and enclose in an envelope to C. W. Babcock, Lawrence.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 310

No comments: