Saturday, January 10, 2015

Wilder Dwight to Elizabeth White Dwight, July 11, 1861

I wrote a note this morning, just before breakfast, expecting an immediate start for Martinsburg; but, owing to the necessary delays of our movements, we shall not start until four o'clock this afternoon. To-night we camp on this side the Potomac. Everything is as well with us as it can be. I think the organization shows, by its practical working on the way, that it is a success. The men are quiet, orderly, and disciplined. Their rations have held out well, and their health and spirits are remarkably good. I see very clearly that there is to be no limit of work, but much of it will be work that I can do, which is all I want. As to fatigue, I expect to bear it well. Since Sunday morning I have not had three successive hours of sleep, but I feel well and vigorous, notwithstanding. We start from here very soon, and, as the regiment moves out on its first march, we expect to make a fine appearance. I shall write as often as I can, and hope to hear.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 46-7

No comments: