Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, February 7, 1864

Nashville, February 7, 1864.

. . . General Grant has determined to go himself in command of the forces to operate against Longstreet, and we shall leave here for Knoxville within ten or twelve days. I feel he should go. It is too important a matter to trust entirely to others, however competent they may be, for should they fail the country will ask why he was not there.

So far as any news is received, all is quiet in our front to-day. Captain Leet is home on furlough. I don't know whether I mentioned it in my previous letters. He is a fine officer, and I flatter myself for procuring his promotion from a private in the ranks to the position he now fills so well. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 396

No comments: