Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, February 14, 1864

Nashville, February 14, 1864.

. . . I have received the photographs. Mine is miserable; I look in it sad and deathlike, yet I am not prepared to say it is not a correct picture, for perhaps it is. I never sat for one that did not contain that same sad sorrowful expression. It may be that I appear to others as my pictures show me to myself. If so, how miserable I must be deemed. But am I miserable and unhappy? No, I am not. Your sweet and beautiful picture daguerreotypes the feelings of my heart. I am happy in my wife and my children's love, and in great numbers of friends who are ever willing to serve me. So keep not the picture of me, dearest. It is false to my heart, though it may be true to my face. Retain that of yourself and in your warm, loving imagination invest it with all the virtues the original possesses, and say this reflects truly my husband's heart and soul. He loves me and confides in me all things. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 399

No comments: