Sunday, February 15, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, March 8, 1864

Baltimore, Md., March 8, 1864.

. . . We arrived here at 12 m. to-day, and leave at 3.15 P. M. for Washington. I shall be heartily glad when we reach our destination, although I cannot say I have had an unpleasant trip, for to me, the hearty and enthusiastic manner in which the people, ladies, gentlemen and children, all greet the General is truly gratifying, knowing as I do how he has triumphed over those who were his enemies. Heaven has blessed him with a disposition of self-satisfaction, that takes from these demonstrations of the people that annoyance I am sure that they would be to me, unless I were engaged in politics. Among other of Heaven's blessings to him, he cannot make a speech. If he could the temptation would be so great, he could not resist, and yielding, unless he far transcended in politics and merit all others who have tried the dangerous experiment, he would surely say that which would be construed to his injury.

The General received a despatch from General Halleck informing him that his commission as Lieutenant General had been made out and signed and would be delivered to him on his arrival at the War Department. General Halleck congratulates him on his well merited promotion and evinces in his congratulations the warmest sincerity.

I spoke to the General on the subject of his staff to-day again, and told him frankly I desired it organized without regard to me, that I feared my health at any rate would require me to leave the service, that should I get no better when warm weather comes, I should have a respite to enable me to recover. So of course that ended further talk. No man perhaps in the country is so great a friend to me, and to feel that I have this friendship is a great satisfaction.

We should have been in Washington before this time, but for the fact of falling behind time at Harrisburg, and having to come from there on the accommodation train. I hope to return to Nashville very soon. What may be the General's orders, however, we cannot yet divine. Should they be such as to detain him East, I shall have to remain with him. In that case I very much desire your return to our Western home. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 401-2

No comments: