Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, March 22, 1864

Washington, D. C., March 22, 1864.

. . . We arrived here, all but General Grant, Mrs. Grant and Captain Leet, this evening. The General and Mrs. Grant went by Philadelphia, to enable Mrs. Grant to make some additions to her wardrobe. Captain Leet stayed over at Pittsburg to see Mrs. Leet. Notwithstanding two nights' ride in the cars, I feel much better than when I kissed you good night at Cincinnati. The General and Mrs. Grant seem more attentive to me than ever before. I cannot tell the reason why unless it was that they thought my recent separation from you entitled me to sympathy. I certainly feel very kindly to them for their marked interest in my welfare. Be assured, there is nothing the General can do for me but he will do. I have great hopes of being able to withstand the coming campaign and not be compelled to take a leave of absence. To be present at the battle that must decide the fate of Richmond, and that battle a successful one too, would be the height of my ambition. . . .

We will go forward without delay to Culpepper Court House, where headquarters of the armies will be established for the present, and I am pleased to know, we shall have a house in which I can have a room, and thereby be relieved from going into a tent which I so much feared because of my health. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 403

No comments: