Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, March 27, 1864

Culpepper C. H., Va., March 27, 1864.

. . . Yesterday Mrs. Grant called upon Mrs. Lincoln accompanied by Colonels Badeau and Duff of General Grant's staff. She was received with great cordiality. Her stay was short and in this manifestation of good sense Colonel Badeau says she will without doubt make friends in Washington. Her inexperience is excusable in her simplicity of manner. In this she is not dissimilarly situated from her illustrious husband  . . . He will be back to-morrow.

By the way as I have seen it alluded to though incorrectly in some of the papers, that "U. S." are not the real initials of General Grant's name. In order to put you in possession of the facts, I will tell you his original Christian name and how it came to be changed to what it is now. He was christened “Hiram Ulysses,” and by that name he was recognized and known until his appointment to West Point. He was, however, usually called Ulysses and had a brother named Simpson, hence when his father made application to the Honorable Mr. Hamer, representative in Congress, from the district in which the family then resided, he simply asked Mr. Hamer to have his son Ulysses appointed to West Point. Mr. Hamer being somewhat acquainted with the family, got the names of the General and his brother Simpson confused, and gave in the name of his appointee as Ulysses S. Grant, which the General on going to West Point sought to get corrected, but for some cause his application for the correction of the name was not attended to and he graduated and received his commission as Ulysses S. Grant. By that name and the initials U. S. he has ever since been known and called. Thus you have what few persons know, the correct version of the change of the General's Christian name. This is in no manner whatever confidential, and you are at liberty to speak of it when and where you think it of interest to your company  . . . I had the General night before last give me the statement in detail, as I have here written it to you . . .

I am still improving; have a good appetite, and a sound sleep every afternoon. I don't know what it is makes me sleepy, but sleepy I am. Every afternoon, immediately after dinner I get so sleepy I can hardly keep awake if I would, and as the doctor says it is a good sign in my case, and that sleep will do me good, I yield most cheerfully to the soothing invitation. I begin to feel my real self, more than ever since you became acquainted with me. My hopes and purposes of life are higher and brighter than ever before, and why should they not be? . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 406-7

No comments: