Monday, February 16, 2015

Brigadier-General Thomas J. Jackson to Margaret Junkin Preston, October 23, 1861

Centreville, Oct. 23d, 1861.

My Dear Maggie, — I am much obliged for your kind letter of the 19th, and for the arrangement respecting Amy and Emma1. Please have the kindness to go to Winny Buck's occasionally, and see that Amy is well cared for, and that not only she, but also Emma, is well clothed. I am under special obligations for the religious instruction that you have given Amy, and hope that it may be in your power to continue it. Remember me to her very kindly, on the first opportunity, and say that I hope she has rich heavenly consolation. This evening I expect our own pastor and Dr. McFarland. I will send some money by Dr. White for you to use as occasion may require for Amy and Emma, and I will so manage as to keep a supply in the Rockbridge Bank, or elsewhere, subject to your order.

I have this day received a letter from your dear husband at Craney Island. The letter has reference to his coming here, and I am anxiously expecting him, though am apprehensive that he will not reach here for a week or so yet.

I heard from A. a few days since; she was at her father's, and doing well. Give my kindest regards to Mrs. Cocke.

My oft-repeated prayer is for a speedy termination of the war, by an honorable and lasting peace. God has given us another glorious victory near Leesburg.

My prayer for you is that your path may be that of the just, which shineth more and more unto the perfect day. Who would not be a Christian!

Your affectionate friend,
T. J. Jackson.
_______________

1 Slaves owned by Jackson

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 129-30

No comments: