Monday, February 16, 2015

Senator Charles Sumner to James S. Pike, December 14, 1859

Washington, December 14, 1859.

My Dear Sir: Pray, if you can, talk with Mr. Weed about Mrs. B.'s case. Twice I have tried to see him, but he has now left town.

I am in constant communication with members on this matter, and find response. But as yet no person is fixed upon in whose name Mrs. B. can be represented. Perhaps this cannot be done till after the election of Speaker.

I have always insisted that no arrangement should be permitted which did not recognize Mrs. B.
Tell the Count that I always welcome him and all that he can say. But I have no personal griefs to dwell on. I have suffered. But what is all this compared with the cause? On sait assez qu'on ne doit guere parler de sa femme; mais on ne sait pas assez qu’ on ne doit guรจre parler de soi. This is Rochefoucauld, and the Count will agree in it.

Ever sincerely yours,
Charles Sumner.

SOURCE: James Shepherd Pike, First Blows of the Civil War: The Ten Years of Preliminary Conflict in the United States from 1850 to 1860, p. 454

No comments: