Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, April 4, 1864

Washington, D. C, April 4, 1864.

. . . We have this moment returned from Fortress Monroe and go directly forward to Culpepper . . .

I see by the papers a large number of confirmations of brigadier generals and among them several General Grant has recommended. My name is not in the published list and I begin to think there is a probability that I will not be confirmed. I cannot say I should seriously regret this were it not on your account. If I am not confirmed you will have to give up all hope of going home this summer, and make up your mind to a more plain and economical life than you would perhaps otherwise lead . . .  I shall find out soon my true status in this matter of confirmation, and have mentioned the subject here only that you might be prepared for whatever may be in store for us. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 410

No comments: