Sunday, March 22, 2015

Major Robert Anderson to Colonel Samuel Cooper, December 16, 1860 – 8 p.m.

Fort Sumter, South Carolina,
December 16, 1860.
8 P. M.
colonel:

I have the honor to report that I have just completed, by the blessing of God, the removal to this fort of all my garrison, except the surgeon, four non-commissioned officers and seven men. We have one year's supply of hospital stores and about four months' supply of provisions for my command. I left orders to have all the guns at Fort Moultrie spiked, and the carriages of the 32-pounders, which are old, destroyed. I have sent orders to Captain Foster, who remains at Fort Moultrie, to destroy all the ammunition which he cannot send over. The step which I have taken was, in my opinion, necessary to prevent the effusion of blood.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,
robert Anderson,
Major First Artillery.
Colonel S. Cooper, Adjutant-General.

SOURCE: Samuel Wylie Crawford, The Genesis of the Civil War: The Story of Sumter, 1860-1861, p. 106-7

No comments: