Thursday, April 2, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, April 28, 1864

Culpepper C. H., Va., April 28, 1864.

. . . The General and I dined to-day with the Honorable John Minor Botts, the man who presents the very remarkable phenomenon of belonging to no Government, although living in the State where he was born. He is one of the most interesting men in conversation I think I have ever met, and at heart I am sure is a truly loyal man, loyal to the Government of the United States, and desires our success above all things. Yet he has managed to remain neutral throughout this struggle. I speak of him thus, however, without approving his course. If a man is loyal to his government he should use whatever influence he possesses in aid of it. There is no excuse in my mind for his doing otherwise.

Everything here progresses as well as could be hoped for. No news of importance from the front. I forgot to mention in my letter of yesterday that it was General Grant's forty-second birthday. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 426

No comments: