Friday, April 3, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, April 29, 1864

Culpepper C. H., April 29, 1864.

. . . Quite cold and chilly to-day. Rode yesterday without an overcoat, caught cold, which troubles me quite seriously. I am satisfied from the effect these rides have upon me I shall have to take a leave of absence for two or three months unless I get better much faster than I am at present. Do not now understand me to say that I am not better, very much better than I was when I came here. I shall, as I have before stated, unless I get well sooner, get leave of absence the moment this campaign terminates, and whether I spend it East or West must depend very much upon my condition then and the advice of the physician. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 426

No comments: