Sunday, April 5, 2015

Hon. Benjamin Stanton to James S. Pike, February 11, 1860

Washington, February 11, 1860.
J. S. Pike, Esq.

Dear Sir: Yours of yesterday is received. Many thanks for your kindness in saving me from another assault in the Tribune.

I see from the Tribune of yesterday that you suppose there was some unbecoming altercation between Mr. Colfax and myself in the House. This is a great mistake. There are no two members of the House whose personal relations are more kind and cordial than Mr. Colfax's and my own. I of course felt the awkwardness of my position in opposing the election of a candidate nominated by a caucus in which I participated. To break the force of an anticipated attack on that ground I referred to the vote of the friends of Mr. Defrees, and especially Mr. Colfax, in 1856. I probably acted indiscreetly in doing so. Mr. Colfax exhibited a little feeling in his reply, but subsequent explanations have removed every trace of it, and our former amicable relations are fully and completely restored.

Yours, etc.,
B. Stanton.

SOURCE: James Shepherd Pike, First Blows of the Civil War: The Ten Years of Preliminary Conflict in the United States from 1850 to 1860, p. 485-6

No comments: