Thursday, June 18, 2015

Brigadier-General John Sedgwick to Brigadier-General Seth Williams, July 11, 1862

Headquarters Sedgwick's Division,
Sumner's Corps,
Harrison's Landing, Virginia,
July 11, 1862.
Brigadier-General S. Williams, A.A.G.:

I have the honour to request that the name of Major R. F. Halsted, formerly of the 40th New York Volunteers, be forwarded to the Governor of the State of New York for an appointment to a Colonelcy. I have known Halsted for nearly a year, and have had abundant opportunities for becoming thoroughly acquainted with his character. I have no hesitation in saying that I have not met, in the service, with a more thorough gentleman or a man of better principles and character, while I regard him as being, both by natural qualification and by his acquirements, one of the best volunteer officers I have known. I consider him peculiarly fitted to enforce respect and discipline as commander of a regiment, and to govern it justly and wisely. The service requires just such men at the head of the regiments.

I have the honour to be, with much respect,

Your most obedient servant,

John Sedgwick,
Brigadier-General Volunteers.

SOURCES: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 73

No comments: