Sunday, June 21, 2015

Captain William F. Bartlett to Lieutenant-Colonel Francis W. Palfrey, December 31, 1862

Headquarters Remainder Banks' Expedition,
No. 194 Broadway, New York, December 31, 1862.

. . . . As regards myself, I ride with ease, hardly with comfort. My horse is wild, fractious, and stubborn. He is a valuable beast, of great strength, endurance, and mettle. But I am not exactly in condition now to break a wild brute. He rears with me, jumps, etc. My friends beg me not to ride him, and I have not mounted him for a week. My man, a splendid horseman, rides him hard every day, and is breaking him. I am looking for another one, more gentle, and may keep both. It is a delightful sensation to me, to move about on a horse after hobbling around on crutches so long.

You will wonder at the heading of this letter. General Andrews sent for me and desired me to take command during his absence of a week or so, notwithstanding my telling him that my commission must be one of the youngest of the eight still here. So that my command is just now about eight thousand, — rather ridiculous, isn't it?  . . . . My regiment I am getting into excellent order. I drill the non-coms, in the manual, an hour every morning, standing on one leg. In the afternoon, I drill the whole line in the manual an hour and a half. I visit the guard every night after twelve, to see that the officer of the guard and day are doing their duty, etc., etc. The officers and men are all interested in their work and everything goes well

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 54-5

No comments: