Saturday, June 20, 2015

Diary of Margaret Junkin Preston: Tuesday Morning, June 14, 1864

Have had many experiences since yesterday morning. Our guard has been very kind, and we have done everything for them as if they were our own men, because we feel that our safety rests with them. Yesterday the best one came and said, “An officer has just been at the gate, demanding to know if this house has been searched; I told him it had been; has it?” Phoebe said “No.” He said the officer asked if there were not anything suspicious about us; the guard assured him there was not. “Now,” said he, “you must assure me there is nothing contraband in your house, or I may compromise myself greatly by what I have done.” We told him of the cadets who had left their trunks here; he said they must be examined, but that it would not do to send them at this late hour down to the Provost Marshal, after he had pledged himself that the house had been searched. He evidently was nonplussed, and so were we. He begged us to be in haste and have the trunks opened. We furnished a hatchet; he hewed them open, and there were the uniforms! He said they must be destroyed somehow, and that we had better burn them. We kindled a big fire in the ironing room, and piled it up with nice cloth clothes; but the smell of the burning cloth went all over the house, and the guard said we would be betrayed. Then, in our alarm, we poured water on the charred clothes, and by his directions, tore them to pieces. I suppose what we destroyed had cost two thousand dollars. Oh! what a consternation seized us as the guards bade us hurry. We were in despair about concealing the remnants, but he bade us shun concealment; to leave the remnants out upon the floor, and tell the officers, if they should come, that we had been searched, and he would confirm what we said. “All this is out of order,” he said, “but I want to keep your house from being plundered, which it certainly will be if they find all these clothes.” Such a pile as they amounted to! We were frightened at it; so I crept into the loft above the porch, and stowed away under the rafters quantities of the rags. We tore to strips all Frank's outside clothes, and how my heart did revolt at it, and my fingers refuse to do their office: we cut up Mr. P.'s new coat, which he had just gotten at a cost of something like $300. We were afraid to let the guard know what an amount of uniform there was, lest he should think we were deceiving him. These officers and cadets (there were seven trunks besides Frank's and Mr. P.'s) had just sent their trunks here by the V. M. I. servants, and we did not know some of the young men even by name or sight. Just as I was descending from the loft, candle in hand, the guard's head appeared above the stairs! One of the servants had just time to wave me back, and then I crouched at the open trap door, the guard talking a few feet from me; I expecting every instant that he would advance and put his head up to see if there was anything suspicious up there. I never was placed in such circumstances of danger in my life. I called on God to aid me. After a little, the guard turned away, having ordered the buttons all to be given to him. Such a relief as I experienced! After coming down, I found another cadet's suit, which had never been worn, of nice English cloth, which in Confederate money would have cost $500. — I took a penknife and slit it to pieces, and added it to the pile. Going out into the passage I encountered the guard coming down from the third story where the clothes lay, with a pair of new shoes in his hand; he said his comrade had an old pair on, and he might as well take this cadet's, as they were contraband. He took Frank's cap, vest, and pants, and this morning the other fellow rode away with them on. I had become so alarmed that I thought it time he should know the wounded man was here, so I said, “Come in and see this wounded cadet!” He seemed surprised, but came in, and talked very civilly; the cadet lay pale and motionless, never opening his eyes. The guard asked if we did not need help in sitting up with him at night, and talked so kindly that quiet tears began to steal down the poor wounded boy's face — for he is only seventeen. Phoebe began to weep too; the guard looked on a moment, and then said, “Well, in the other world there will surely be somebody made to suffer for all this!” I take time to note this; it is an incident worth preserving.

There was still Jackson's sword. With great trouble we carried it under our clothes — that sword that had flashed victoriously over many a battle field — and finally concealed it in an outhouse. Then breathing freely for the first time since our fright, we went to the guard and told him there was not to our knowledge, and we were willing to take our oath upon it, an article of contraband clothing, or an instrument of defence in the house. He said he was perfectly satisfied, and nobody should enter the house to search, except over him.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 194-6

No comments: