Saturday, June 27, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Cousin, September 13, 1862

Camp Near Frederick, Maryland,
September 13, 1862.
My dear cousin:

I have just received your letter of the 10th ultimo. You are mistaken in thinking I was offended at your criticism on the conduct of our Generals in carrying on the war. I recollect your letter perfectly, and my recollection is that I answered it at once. I do not undertake to uphold all of the Generals, but this much I may venture to say, that if the Government had kept the promises made, there might have been a very different result. With us it has been a war carried on by politicians; with them there has been but one head, and that a sound one. I have nothing with which to reproach myself. For three years I have not slept absent from my command, for two years I have not lived in a house; my division has been in as many engagements as any other, with two exceptions, and we have never been driven from the field, and I challenge comparison with any other.

Our men's hearts are not in the fight, and theirs are; and as long as such are the facts, success will not attend us.

I hope some day to go home and die at the old place and be buried beside my and your father.

Yours truly,
J. S.

SOURCES: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 81-2

No comments: