Saturday, July 11, 2015

Colonel Charles Russell Lowell to Josephine Shaw Lowell, Sunday, September 18, 1864

Ripon, Sunday, P. M. (Sept. 18th).

Billy teases me more than he does you. I generally resolve to ride some other horse, and do ride one till the real time comes, and the other horse behaves so that I have to mount Billy in a hurry. This has happened three times now. The gray and Berold are perfectly unmanageable now, unless one can give them entire attention. I'm glad you mentioned Billy, for I don't want you to imagine for a moment that I was running him into danger inconsiderately. I have bothered a good deal about it, but have done by him just as I should wish Will to do by Berold in like case.

SOURCE: Edward Waldo Emerson, Life and Letters of Charles Russell Lowell, p. 347

No comments: