Thursday, July 9, 2015

Francis Lieber to Judge Thayer, February 1, 1864

New York, February 1, 1864.

. . . Did you observe that the “Intelligeneer” quotes a passage of my “Civil Liberty,” where I speak of the unmanly state of things when a people loses the energy of enduring an opposition. I spoke of France, and had at the same time South Carolina, where I was then living, in my mind. A portion of the passage renders the substance of a long and grave conversation I had with the lamented Petigru. South Carolina suffered no opposition on any important subject. “I go with my State” was the stereotyped phrase, no matter whether that State went for treason or not. It was one of the most anxious endeavors of Mr. Calhoun to prevent any issue whatever that might lead to the formation of two opposing bodies in South Carolina. I have had many conversations on that subject with Mr. Preston. And now, to apply my remarks to those who are in favor of Rebels! If we were at war with England, would I call traitors who should do their best to aid the enemy, a party, and claim for them all the consideration due to a loyal opposition? Would any one do it? And this Rebellion is ten times worse than a foreign foe.

SOURCE: Thomas Sergeant Perry, Editor, The Life and Letters of Francis Lieber, p. 338-9

No comments: