Monday, July 20, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, May 15, 1863

May 15, 1863.
My dear sister:

I received yours of the 11th instant yesterday. Captain Halsted wrote you last night a description of the crossing and recrossing of the river. I wrote you that I apprehended the General would attempt to throw an undue share of the failure on the 6th Corps. The pressure was too great for him to attempt it. We have received nothing but congratulations for the heroic conduct of the soldiers, and credit for some skill in handling. What future operations are to be, no one here knows. We are discharging at the rate of one thousand men a day, and by the 15th of June will have discharged thirty thousand men. I presume they know in Washington where the reinforcements are to come from.

I cannot see when I shall be at home, unless something should turn up. I cannot anticipate now. There must be some change. I hope it may be such an one as will satisfy the army. With much love to all,

Your affectionate brother,
J. s.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 128-9

No comments: