Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, May 25, 1863

May 25, 1863.
My dear sister:

I received your letter of the 19th instant last night. Everything remains as it did when I last wrote, and will probably for some time to come. We are discharging at the rate of two or three regiments a day, and no reinforcements.

I am well satisfied with the part my corps took in the late actions, and I believe all men are of the same way of thinking. At first I believed that an effort would be made to throw the blame of a failure on this corps, but it has been given up, if ever entertained. I have many letters from persons whom I did not know, and more from my friends, congratulating me upon the part we took. One was from Mr. Horatio Ames (who I suppose is our Falls Village friend), a long and flattering one, which I have not answered. I wish you would write a note to the Litchfield paper to send my copy here, “Army of Potomac.” It goes now to Old Point. I was reminded of this by receiving two copies yesterday of about a month old.

My old division is getting up a testimonial for me. They have raised seventeen hundred dollars, and I hear the testimonial is to consist of a horse and equipments complete, sword, etc. The sword they have sent to Paris for, and costs one thousand dollars. The presentation is expected now to come off about the 10th of next month. You may hear more about that time. Write often.

With much love,
Your affectionate brother,
J. s.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 129-30

No comments: