Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Charlotte Cross Wigfall to Francis H. Wigfall, May 11, 1863

May 11th, 1863.

We are all saddened to the heart to-night by hearing the death of our hero Jackson! In addition to our own irreparable loss, it will put new life and courage into our cruel foe. It will cause mourning all over our land and each person seems to feel as if he had lost a relative. I feel more disheartened about the war now than I have ever felt before. It seems to me, it is to be interminable, and what a wretched life of anxiety it is to look forward to! I suppose the death of Jackson has affected us all and I can't help thinking it will put new life into the enemy and give him courage to make another attempt very soon. You see by the papers they claim having taken almost as many prisoners as we have and I am sure the loss of Jackson has turned the last fight into a calamity, if not a curse. I expect you will think I am really blue — but you know Jackson has been my hero and favorite for a long time. We must, though, hope on, hope ever!

SOURCE: Louise Wigfall Wright, A Southern Girl in ’61, p. 126
_______________

EDITOR’S NOTE: Francis H. Wigfall was then with Fitz Lee’s Cavalry Division.

No comments: