Saturday, August 8, 2015

Francis Lieber to Senator Charles Sumner, December 24, 1864

December 24, 1864.

My Dear Sumner, — You will feel the loss of Earl Carlisle much. I sympathize with you. I do not know whether your intimacy continued to his end, but he was, I understand, on our side. Cornewall Lewis went before him, so we lose the few friends we have in England fast. Serrez les rangs. What we have to do is to fight through, and leave the rest to Him to whom all history belongs. We are all on a battle-field. Blessed are those who fight and fall in a righteous cause, but all must fight and fall in this life, which is life only as far as it is struggle within and without.

The attempted interference with the foreign policy, by the house, and the proposition of retaliation by the member from Maine, are illustrations of the pitiful Athenian government by the agora. When such attempts are made even by the representative government, what must be the state of things where the multitude (not the populus) rule, or rather, can rush into action at any moment. I am the sworn enemy of all absolutism, and I trust my friends will remember of me this one thing, that I am the one who first spoke of “democratic absolutism.” Until I used that term, absolutism meant monarchical, unchecked power. It came into use under Ferdinand VII of Spain. I spoke of democratic absolutism in presence of Judge Story, or to him, when you were yet a Cambridge student. It struck him, and he first hesitated to allow the term, but soon approved it. . . .

SOURCE: Thomas Sergeant Perry, Editor, The Life and Letters of Francis Lieber, p. 354

No comments: