Saturday, August 29, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight to Elizabeth White Dwight, October 13, 1861

pleasant Hill, Maryland, October 13, 1861.

Dear Mother, — Opie mixed his colors “with brains, sir,” and with brains we have just done a clever thing near Hatteras. Let us keep the brains at work. As for our own thoughts, they were excited this morning by an order for “two days” cooked rations in the haversack, and to [“]hold ourselves in readiness to march.” So we hold ourselves serenely and with content, but I do not fear any immediate action. At last, however, with all this cry, the wolf must come.

The paymaster has been here, and went off yesterday, leaving Uncle Sam's paper money behind, instead of gold as before. . . . .

It is a bright and gusty day, and our hillside exposure gives us the full front to the wind. I sit in my tent, this Sunday morning, and keep warm over a pan of coals.

I was amused, the other day, at an incident of my drive with Colonel Batchelder. We came across a bright-eyed little boy on the road, his pockets bursting with chestnuts, and stopped and took him in, levying on his chestnuts. I asked him if he was for the Union. “Yes,” said he, with a bright twinkle, “that I am.” “Why?” said I. “O,” said he, “that old flag has stood too long to be pulled down now.” I thought that, for a Maryland boy's reason, was a pretty good one I am quite anxious to get my buffalo-robe, which Spiegel was obliged to leave in Washington, as the coach would not bring it. The weather is growing colder every day, as it seems. But then we have the cheerful confidence that we are serving our country, you know, which takes the chill off.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 115-6

No comments: