Monday, September 28, 2015

General Joseph E. Johnston to Louis T. Wigfall, November 12, 1863

meridian, Nov. 12th, 1863.
My dear Wigfall,

I received your letter of the 2nd yesterday and tried in vain to find the person who brought it. It was left with Col. B. S. Ewell A. A. G. by a contractor on his way to the Trans-Mississippi Country.  . . . I congratulate you with all my heart upon Halsey's narrow escape. To have a horse killed under one puts a tall feather in his cap. (I hope, however, it was not the sorrel mare.) Even at present prices1 I'd freely give a good horse to the same fate. I have been having a very quiet time since July. Almost a peace establishment so we have gone to house keeping. I say we, for Mrs. Johnston joined me two weeks ago. I think Fanny would be delighted to see the style with which her namesake trots up to the door when she sees her mistress in it. Her mistress enjoys it greatly. I am at last making a report.

Very truly yours,
J. E. Johnston.

1 Horses were worth at this time about $3,000.

SOURCE: Louise Wigfall Wright, A Southern Girl in ’61, p. 155

No comments: