Sunday, April 3, 2016

Brigadier-General Benjamin F. Butler to Captain Morris Miller, April 21, 1861

Headquarters, Third Brigade Second Division, Mass. Vol. Militia-Off
ANNAPOLIS, MD., April 21st, 1861

To Capt. MoRRIs MILLER, Adjt. Quarter Master at Annapolis, Md.

SIR: I have received your communication of April 20th, 1861. I am grieved to hear that it is impracticable for you to procure cars for the carriage of myself and command to Washington, D. C. Cars are not indispensable to our progress. I am not instructed that you are to arrange for the transportation of my command. If so you would surely have been instructed as to our destination. We are accustomed to much longer journeys on foot in pursuance of our ordinary business. I can see no objection, however, to our remaining where we are until such time as orders may be received from Gen’l. Scott. But without further explanation from yourself, or greater inconveniences than you suggest, I see no reason why I should make such delay. Hoping for an opportunity for an immediate personal interview I have the honor to be

Respectfully Your Obdt. Servt.,

B. F. BUTLER, Brig. Genl.
Commanding 3rd Brigade Mass. Militia, called out in obedience
to the President of the United States

SOURCE: Jessie Ames Marshall, Editor, Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler During the Period of the Civil War, Volume 1: April 1860 – June 1862, p. 20

No comments: