Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Diary of Judith Brockenbrough McGuire: February 8, 1865


I feel more and more anxious about Richmond. I can't believe that it will be given up; yet so many persons are doubtful that it makes me very unhappy. I can't keep a regular diary now, because I do not like to write all that I feel and hear. I am constantly expecting the blessing of God in a way that we know not. I believe that all of our difficulties are to be overruled for good. A croaker accuses me of expecting a miracle to be wrought in our favour, which I do not; but we have been so often led on in a manner so wonderful, that we have no right to doubt the mercy of God towards us. Our troops, too, are standing up under such hardships and trials, which require the most sublime moral as well as personal courage to endure, that I cannot avoid expecting a blessing upon them!

Sherman moves on in his desolating path. Oh for men to oppose and crush him!

In the midst of our trials, Hymen still comes in to assert his claims, and to amuse and interest us. We have lately seen our beautiful young friend, Mary Garnett, led to his altar; and two of our young office associates are bidding us farewell for the same sacrifice. One of them, Miss T. W., has sat by my side for more than a year, with her bright face and sweet manners. She will be a real loss to me, but I cannot find it in my heart to regret that she will bless with her sweetness one of our brave Confederate officers.

SOURCE: Judith W. McGuire, Diary of a Southern Refugee, During the War, p. 332-3

No comments: