Friday, July 22, 2016

Colonel William F. Bartlett, May 3, 1864

Rappahannock Station, Va., May 3, 1864.

We move to-morrow morning with the grand army of the Potomac. I have been here three days, and not found time to go over to the Twentieth, only five miles distant. My regiment is in no condition to take into action, but I must do the best I can. It will be a long and hard fight. God, I hope, will give us the victory. The chances I think are even. Grant, I fear, does not appreciate Lee's ability, nor the qualities of his army. Let us hope for the best . . . .  I am very well Give me twenty days and I could make a splendid regiment of this, but man proposes and Grant disposes. Good-by.

Ever faithfully yours.
Frank.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 99

No comments: