Saturday, October 8, 2016

John M. Forbes to Congressman Charles B. Sedgwick, February 16, 1863

You have piped and I have not danced; you have called and I have not come, though my trunk has been packed for ten days. Now I am busy, besides the Second Cavalry, in raising a negro regiment (see circular), also in raising a Union Club, and in various other little ways; but the Second Massachusetts and its young captain will not get off for some six weeks yet (probably), and if you think I can do any good, by coming on, towards pushing up members for any of the great measures of the session, such as I regard the Missouri bill.1 I will come almost any day upon getting a telegram or letter from you.
_______________

1 Abolishing slavery in Missouri and compensating loyal owners.

SOURCE: Sarah Forbes Hughes, Letters and Recollections of John Murray Forbes, Volume 2, p. 1-2

No comments: