Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Diary of Brigadier-General William F. Bartlett: Sunday, August 28, 1864

Quiet, pleasant day. I live comparatively well here, and am quite comfortable. More prisoners come in to-day. Lieutenant-colonel Walker, Hancock's Assistant Adjutant-general, brought in recaptured, taken first at Reams Station; got within thirty yards of our pickets on James, which he swam. Tells me Macy is badly hurt. I dreamt it a week ago. Patten lost a leg. Walker was dressed in rags and filth, but how undisguisable the gentleman is. I was very much taken with him. He knew me, but I had never seen him. Roast mutton for dinner. I am treated with marked consideration just now for some reason or other. The surgeon marked for me good diet.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 131-2

No comments: