Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Diary of Brigadier-General William F. Bartlett: Thursday, September 1, 1864

Off at last. I gave Arthur all that I had, money, etc., gave him a good breakfast with me, took note for J. D., borrowed $20 of Captain Fox, Thirty-fourth Massachusetts, gave Arthur $10, Sedgwick $10, Arthur my watch-chain. He is very well. Twenty other officers go. Go down to boat in ambulances of boards. An order comes from Colonel Ould. I cannot go. It is a bitter, bitter blow after getting so far. I must go back to prison. Ould says General Walker was not sent up. There is some other reason, I think. This is a sad disappointment. My heart sinks at coming back here. I must wait patiently and believe He doeth all things for the best. Poor mother, if she only knew!

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 133-4

No comments: