Friday, April 28, 2017

John Brown to His Family, May 27, 1857

Hudson, Ohio, May 27, 1857.

Dear Wife And Children, Every One,

. . . I have got Salmon's letter of the 19th instant, and am much obliged for it. There is some prospect that Owen will go on with me. If I should never return, it is my particular request that no other monument be used to keep me in remembrance than the same plain one that records the death of my grandfather and son; and that a short story, like those already on it, be told of John Brown the fifth, under that of grandfather. I think I have several good reasons for this. I would be glad that my posterity should not only remember their parentage, but also the cause they labored in. I do not expect to leave these parts under four or five days, and will try to write again before I go off. I am much confused in mind, and cannot remember what I wish to write. May God abundantly bless you all! . . .

Your affectionate husband and father,
JOHN BROWN.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 410-1

No comments: