Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Lieutenant-Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes, August 25, 1862

Washington City, August 25, 1862.

Dearest: — We arrived here after ten days’ marching and travelling, this morning. We go over to Alexandria in an hour or two to take our place in General Sturges’ Army Corps of General Pope's Command. Colonel Scammon leads the First Brigade of General Cox’s Division in the new position. If the enemy press forward, there will be fighting. It is supposed they are trying to push us back. Reinforcements for us are pouring in rapidly.

In case of accident, Joe and I will be reported at the Kirkwood House in this city. I feel a presentiment that all will be right with us. If not, you know all the losing things I would say to you and the dear boys. My impression is that the enemy will be in no condition to hurry matters fast enough to get ahead of the new legions now coming in. They must act speedily or they are too late.

Direct to me as in my last.

Affectionately ever,
R.
Mrs. Hayes.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 330-1

No comments: