Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Diary of 1st Sergeant John L. Ransom: May 2, 1864

A crazy man was shot dead by the guard an hour ago. The guard dropped a piece of bread on the inside of the stockade, and the fellow went inside the dead line to get it and was killed. The bread wagon was raided upon as soon as it drove inside today and all the bread stolen, for which offense no more will be issued today. As I write Wirtz is walking about the prison revolver in hand, cursing and swearing The men yell out “Hang him up!” “Kill the Dutch louse!” “Buck and gag him!” “Stone him to death I” &c., and he all the time trying to find out who it is insulting him so. “I vish I find out who calls me such insulting vords, I kill the dam Yankee as soon I eat my supper!” And every few minutes a handful of dirt is thrown by some one. Wreaks his vengeance by keeping back rations from the whole camp.

SOURCE: John L. Ransom, Andersonville Diary, p. 54

No comments: