Monday, July 17, 2017

Judge Martin F. Conway to John Brown, January 23, 1859

Lawrence, K. T., Jan. 23, 1859.

Dear Sir, — I have been able to see Whitman but once since I got your previous letter, and then he promised to come and see me about it; but he has not done so. I am of opinion that you will not be able to get any funds from him. He expressed himself to me since his return from the East as dissatisfied at your proceedings in Lawrence when you were here before. He has always complaints to make about his pecuniary sufferings in connection with the National Kansas Committee. Still, it may be as well for you to look after him at this time. Anything I can do for you I will do; but I am extremely pinched for money, and am unable to do anything in that way. If, however, you can suggest anything within my power by which I may aid you, I am at your service. You know Mr. Whitman is living out of town. He does not come in very often. I shall keep “entirely dark,” of course.

Very truly your friend,
M. F. Conway.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 484

No comments: