Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Salmon P. Chase to Edward S. Hamlin, January 26, 1849

Cincinnati, January 26, 1849.

My Dear Hamlin; I have just received yours of yesterday & have time but for a word in reply. I am glad to have you say that you “do not beleive that Col. Morse can be moved.” I have had no idea that he could be. For him to give way now, upon any promises whatever by the Whigs who have abused him so much and to whom he owes nothing, would be to sign and seal his own destruction. His only course of safety and honor, is, as he expressed it himself in his letter to me, to go straight on. I shall be more disappointed in him, than I have ever been in any man if he do s not.

I shall look with great anxiety for the next intelligence from Columbus. The Whigs have generally ceased, I think, out of Columbus, to look for the exclusion of Pugh & Peirce. Almost all lawyers and others who have examined the subject decline to defend the constitutionality of the clauses dividing Hamilton County; and many of them give up the point frankly.

SOURCE: Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1902, Vol. 2, p. 160

No comments: