Friday, August 4, 2017

Captain Charles Wright Wills: October 3, 1862

Camp Peoria, October 3, 1862.

I suppose this is the commencement of another series of letters from your army correspondent. You can't imagine how kind of old-fashioned good it seems to be in camp again. You know, of course, that my lucky star still rules, and that I have been elected captain. I think I have an excellent company, though I have but few men that I ever knew before. Charley Mattison is my first lieutenant, and John Dorrance, my second. The first lieutenant is able, willing and industrious. Dorrance will make a great deal better officer than you imagine. Think I will manage to visit you before we march, but can't promise. I am confined very closely, and have a great deal of work to do. But thank fortune, I partly understand it.

SOURCE: Charles Wright Wills, Army Life of an Illinois Soldier, p. 128-9

No comments: